Friday, December 11, 2009

Research Poster Presentations

We just finished our research poster presentations this week, and it was very interesting. I enjoyed seeing everybody's creative side and talking to people about the technologies they found. One technology that stuck out to me was the tiny bluetooth device that goes inside your ear. It is a great idea and very useful, but I would be afraid to put it in my ear for fear of causing some sort of complication or damage. I'm sure I would be more inclined to buy the tiny bluetooth device because it is not as bulky and noticeable as the current ones on the market. Another one I remember seeing is the phone app where you take a picture and it makes it into a postcard for you. I think that was really neat, and I would definitely use it. It would cut down on time and cost. Also, it makes the postcard more personalized which is cool too. Google music was another technology that was presented. I always have trouble figuring out the name of a song, so if I could just type in a few words that I actually remember and Google music would find it for me, that would be great!

I presented my technology today. I researched about Square which is an iPhone-based payment processing system. Basically, it's a little device that you plug into the audio output of your iPhone that allows you to instantly swipe a credit/debit card and make a transaction! It's really neat because it's efficient, cuts down on paper costs, and it is environmentally friendly. Once you swipe the card, Square will e-mail your receipt which is great for easy record-keeping. Also, Square will donate one penny of every transaction to a charity of your choice. It has a great impact on society because it moves us one step closer to a cashless society. It allows street vendors, small business owners, and festival attendees to become more efficient and successful. Sometimes people don't always have cash on hand at these sort of locations, so it would be easy for vendors and owners to whip out the Square and make a quick transaction. Especially if they are in an unexpected location. I can just think of a Mary Kay representative selling makeup to her friends...it would be so easy for her to make these transactions using Square instead of dealing with so much cash. It can be used for personal use as well like when you owe a friend money for buying a ticket or something. I'm excited to see how successful it will be when it is released into the marketplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment